Back to main menu | to archeological sights | show on the map
12. The Settlements and Barrows of the Pre-Scythian Period
The Settlements and Barrows were left by the Pre-Scythian tribes,
which inhabited the forest-steppe zone in the V��� - at the beginning of the
V�� century B.C. The Settlement and the burial ground are synchronous. The Burial
Ground consists of 8 barrows. It took not much time to be filled. It was found
out, that the person was buried after the body had already decayed because there
is no slump in the ground. Probably, every grave is the patrimonial crypt, which
belonged to one family, and the burial ground belonged to the patrimonial settlement,
The burial ground was found in 1945, during the works of the Middle Dnister expedition of the Institute of Archaeology of Academy of Science of Ukraine. It was dug out completely during the seasons of 1947, 1949, 1950, 1951. The Settlement was inspected in 1947 and 1950. In 1951, the excavations were carried out there. The finds, diary, report and graphical materials are in the Funds and Archive of the Institute of Archaeology of Academy of Science of Ukraine.
The Settlement is located on the slope that stretches from the plateau to Dunayok Tract. Its area is 8 hectares. The burial ground, which consists of 8 embankments is located in Plyty Tract, 1 km westward the Village. The barrows are 1 meter high. There are stone layings out in the construction of the barrows. A part of the buried bodies were located on those layings out. 19 burial places were opened: the main and final, a part of them is with implements.
There are single and group burial-places there. Some burials were made according to the ceremony of cremation. Among the finds from the burial ground are round-bottomed earthenware scoops with high handle, bronze needle, bronze bracelet, the axe with the drilled aperture. The fragments of can-shaped vessels with aureole and punctures along it, and biconical spins were found there too. The traces of dwelling and household buildings were found there during inspection of the settlement. According to the finds, the Settlement and the burial ground are dated by the end of the V�� century B.C.
According to the Order of the Executive Committee of Khmel'nyts'ka Oblast' Council from 5.05.1974, No.143, a border of the reserved area was established in radius of 50 meters there. The Settlement is protected by the Dnister River from the East, and by the edge of Dunayok Tract from the South.
by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to: [email protected]