Back to main menu | to historical-architechtural sights

New Castle, 1621 - the XVIII century. Preservation #731 | Foto
Zamkova St.

It is situated to the West of the Old Castle on the distance of 23 m from its ancient floor side. It is built by military man, T. Shomberg. It looked like the composition of the stone and earthern fortifications. Its bastion system formed the irregular quadrangular with a bastion front from two "big-eared" semibastions and curtain between them. In the 40-50's of the XVII century, the parapets and the northern scarp wall were damaged. The Castle was damaged a lot during the siege of the town by the Turks in 1672. In 1763-1765, the restoration works of the castle were carried out by the Governor of fortress, military engineer and architect, Ya. de Vitte. The restoration of some places of the Castle lasted till the end of the XVIIІ - beginning of the XIX centuries. From the middle of the XIX century, the works turned into the repair works.
Now, the Castle remains its former configuration of the bastion fortification. Its north-eastern and north-western parts with a ditch, northern semibastion and curtain are in the best condition. Stone scarp and contrscarp walls, 8-10 m high, has also remained. Some rooms in the basement remained. The rest are either filled with earth or partly ruined. The curtain, 80 m long, is made of stone; thickness of the wall in the upper part is 1.7 m. There are rooms, covered with a stone torispherical vaults, on both ends of the curtain, in the "big ears" of the semibastions. The dimensions of the rooms are 9.7 m and 15 m. The vaulted passages go to the centre of the Castle yard. All the rooms are covered with the torispherical vaults.
In 1982-1983, some restoration works were carried out there.
The New Castle by its town-planning characheristics is one of the best among the bastion castles of Ukraine.

Памятники градостроительства и архитектуры Украинской ССР; (Ил. справ.-каталог): В 4-х т./ Гл. редкол.: Н.Л. Жариков (гл. ред.) и др. - К.: Будівельник, 1983-1986

Translated by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to: