Back to main menu | to historical-architechtural sights
Tower (the Cap Tower), the end of the XIV century, the beginning of the XVI
century, 1544. Preservation #152 | Foto
situated on the eastern part of the south-western defensive wall of the main
yard of the Old Castle. At the beginning of the XVI century and in 1544, the
rocky base of the Tower was strenthened with the stone laying, the fronts were
plastered, the Northern wall was rebuilt, the intraparietal passage with the
stone stairs was blocked up, and the external wooden gallery bypass along the
Northern elevation was made instead. Simultaneously, the doorways of two lower
tiers were restored. In 1672, the upper part of the Tower was damaged.
Today, the Tower is 22 m high from the South. Two scarp walls make up its base. The diameter of the Tower is 7 m. The stone walls thickness is 2 m. There is a belt, 0.4 m high, in the level of the fifth tier on the floor elevations of the Tower. The coverings are flat on beams. The loopholes are of two types - in the form of the key and round ones, the loopholes of the fifth tier are in the form of small window openings with flat arches. The white stone portals of the XVI century are simple with typical curve in the architrave block.
The monument is a typical example of the flanking tower.
Памятники градостроительства и архитектуры Украинской ССР; (Ил. справ.-каталог): В 4-х т./ Гл. редкол.: Н.Л. Жариков (гл. ред.) и др. - К.: Будівельник, 1983-1986
Translated by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to: email@example.com