Back to main menu | to historical-architechtural sights

The House of Mariyins'ka Gymnasium, 1882-1884. Preservation #1674 | Foto
(24 Shevchenko St.)

It is a stone two-storied house with a sellar, U-shaped in planning, with risalite in the eastern front, stuccoed. It is built after the typical project with the use of the classical elements. In 1960-1962, the two-storied building was built on to the south-western wing from the side of the yard. The coverings of the stories were wooden in beams, in the hall and on the both stories they were arched, in the sellar- made of reinforced concrete. The roof is hipped on wooden frame, the roofing is iron. The planning is corridor with one-sided location of the rooms. The main, eastern front is decorated with paired pilasters on the corners and risalite, on the first floor it is decorated with sloted (set-in) brend dummy joints in the stucco with imitation of laying of the arched bulkheads over the windows of the ground floor and vertical joints of laying between the windows. The windows of the first floor are with straight head moldings, on the risalite - with three-angled head moldings. The level and principal cornices are profiled. Over the risalite the entablature is made. The entrance to the building is in the form of the porch with penthouse on metal posts, to which steps lead from both sides. On the elevation of the building there is the memorial plate with the inscription: "In this building in the period of the Great World War from March 28 up to April 3, 1944, there was the defence headquarters of the city in this building".
The monument is the typical example of an educational institution with typical inside planning.

Памятники градостроительства и архитектуры Украинской ССР; (Ил. справ.-каталог): В 4-х т./ Гл. редкол.: Н.Л. Жариков (гл. ред.) и др. - К.: Будівельник, 1983-1986


Translated by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to:
yana@dekasoft.com.ua