Back to main menu | to historical-architechtural sights

Petropavlivs'ka Church (St.Peter's and Paul's Church), 1580. Preservation #741 | Foto | Scheme 1 | Scheme 2 | Scheme 3
9 Tatars'ka St.

This Church was the poorest from all churches of the Old Town. Its outward appearance is notable for the simplicity, which may only border on poverty - the roof is low, the walls are fortified with heavy counterforts, and it is dark inside. According to the registers this Church was built in 1580. This date was not set accidentally: in 1884 the bell-tower was built on to the Church and the Church was expanded westwardly. During these works the inscription was found on the wooden jambs, which proves the fact, that the church was built in 1580. However this inscription did not remaine and had no documentary proof. The first documentary evidences about Peropavlivs'ka Church date from the end of the XVI century. There is a register, that in 1591, the house was presented to the church by Kamyanets' bourgeois Ivan Selets'kyi. In the period of the Turkish occupation the Church of St.Petro and Pavlo was given to the Roman Catholics for carring out their divine services there. In the XVIII century, Petropavlivs'ka Church was the Uniate one and after that it has two small altars, except the main one - one in honour of St.Mykolay, and the other one - in honour of the Great Martyr Varvara. At the same time there were three congregations at Petropavlivs'ka Church: - the higher Petropavlivs'ke, approved by L'viv Uniat Bishop, Afanasiy Sheptyts'kyi in 1736; women's - in honour of saint Great Martyr, Varvara, approved in 1737, and the junior one- in honour of St. Ioann Khrestytel', approved in 1754. In 1795, this Church was turned into the Orthodox one.

Гульдман В.К. памятники старины в Подолии. - Каменец-Подольский: Типография Подольского уездного правления, 1901. - С.354-355.

Translated by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to:
yana@dekasoft.com.ua


At the end of the XVIII century, the walls were fortified with counterforts. In 1834, the bell-tower in the style of classicism was built on to the western elevation.
It is stone, three-piece, three-conched. It had a tower over the babynets'. The nave with two semicircular conches, rectangular in plan, is finished with a semicircular apse eastwards. The coverings of the nave and vestibule are semicircular vaults with strikings, the peaks of which meet in the crowns. The fragments of the frescos of the XVI century have remained in the interior.
The monument relates to a small amount of three-conched temples, resembling the important period in the development of the Ukrainian architecture and creative relationships with Moldova.

Справочник - каталог "Памятники градостроительства и архитектуры Украинской ССР". редакторы Л.В.Лотоцкая, Э.А.Полторацкая, Г.Л.Пономарева Издательство "Будўвельник", г.Киев, 1986 год, 4 том.


Translated by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to:
yana@dekasoft.com.ua