Back to main menu | to historical-architechtural sightsThe House of Noble Assembly, 1857- 1893. Preservation #1646 | Foto
rebuilt at the end of the XIX century. It is stone, three-storied, with two
basements. The coverings are flat. The planning is (modern) sectional, the western
and southern elevations are rusticated. The central axis of the main southern
front is emphasized by the rusticated trowels. The windows are with semicircular
tie plates, on the second floor - with pilasters and erect head moldings. The
principal cornice is made of circle bricks. The roof is hipped on the wooden
rafters. The roofing is iron.
The monument is a typical example of public building in eclectic style with use of the elements of the Renaissance and Classicism.
Памятники градостроительства и архитектуры Украинской ССР; (Ил. справ.-каталог): В 4-х т./ Гл. редкол.: Н.Л. Жариков (гл. ред.) и др. - К.: Будівельник, 1983-1986
The Circuit Court of Kamyanets-Podil's'kyi was located in the house, built in
1892, on the northern side of the present Radians'ka Square. (Virmens'kyi Rynok)
A lot of buildings in this region lost their original traits, and sometimes it is difficult to talk about their belonging to any style. However, almost every of them is the eye-witness of many historic events, because this square also is one of the ancient monuments.
A number of cartographic and literatural sources testify that till 1616 the palace of the Catholic bishop had been there. But, a frequent and terrible visitor of the Medieval towns - fire - did not spare it. For a long time that place had been in ruins.
In summer, 1672, the Turkish forces under command of sultan Mahomet IV, attacked Kamyanets-Podil's'kyi. Having seized the city, the sultan appointed Galil'-pasha as a governor. A new palace for him was built in the place of the site of fire. However, the fate of that house was not lucky.
In 27 years, according to the conditions of the Karlovyts'kyi Congress (1699) the lands of Podillia and the right bank of Ukraine were returned to Poland. So, Kamyanets'-Podil's'kyi was passed to Poland in very poor condition. The majority of the architectural buildings was turned into ruins, the estates and buildings were robbed and devastated. The palace of Galil'-pasha did not remained.
Only at the beginning of the XVII century, the town began to built on, but the decline of the trade and handycrafts led to small raise of population, so that putting the town in order was carried out very slow.
More than a century passed. And just in 1805, the gentry of the town built the theatre there. But what kind of theatre? Famous poet, K.M. Batiushkov, being from July till December, 1815, at the place of Podillian Governor, earl Sen-Pri, in one of the letters to his aunt, Y.O. Muravyova, wrote: "... There is a theatre there, think over that what should it be: when it rains, the audience open their umbrellas; wind blows everywhere, and all this with handsome drunk officers and violin of the orchestra make up a special harmony".
In 1856, the theatre was located in the Wind Gate, and in its place building of new stone house began. That house was meant for the Noble Deputies' Assembly. Till the end of the 1861, the house was almost (ready) built, but as a result of the events of that time, its building stopped.
Later, after building of the Novoplanivs'kyi Bridge in Kamyanets', intensive building of the town began. At that time building of the house, where the Circuit Court was located was finished. By its architecture this building represents the typical traits of life of Russia of the end of the XIX century. Everything is of a big scale and laconic in it. Its design was defined, as it was stated by the decree of the Tsar's official, peremptory: one and forever, in general, without any details. At that time such houses were the embodiment of the state landowners' and noble power.
However, that "firmness" was broken. In 1917, the February bourgeois-democratic revolution won a victory. 74 barracks of the Sevastopol's'kyi regiment were located in the house of the Circuit Court. There were more than 2 thousand of soldiers in the regiment. In the period of the October events, that regiment played the main role in disarmament and defeat the 'battalions of death", that supported the counter-revolutionary headquarters.
After permanent setting up of Soviet Rule, on November 16, 1920, the Circuit Court was returned to that building but it was already Soviet at that time. From 1929 to 1936, the local government had been located in that building. From the post-war period till today it is a productive building of the clothes factory. This building of the end of the XIX century is protected by the law. Soon the enterprise will be taken out of the borders of the Old Town, that is claimed as the historical and architectural reserve.
Папевська С. Окружний суд // Прапор Жовтня. - Кам.-Под., 1983. - 17 вересня.
by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to: email@example.com