Back to main menu | to historical-architechtural sights
Castle, 1507, end of the XVI century, begining of the XVIII century. Preservation Number #762 | Foto
It is situated in the centre of the present village on the right bank of the Zhvanchyk
River. Time of building: the beginning of the XVI �entury. The castle was owned
by the Liantskoronts'kyis till 1569. New owners, the Gumenets'kyis, modernized
the Castle at the beginning of the XVIII century. The Castle gets developed system
of dry defense ditches with earthern bastions and ramparts. From the middle of
the XIX �entury till the beginning of the XX �entury, the Castle had being owned
by its last owners - the Podvysots'kyis, which took away the castle walls and
built new palace building outside the Castle, and layed a park in its yard. At
the beginning of the XX �entury, the Castle and adjacent territory passed to the
local management, which organized a hospital there.
Today, only 4 corner towers and some towers on the ground level, fragments of
the defense wall between the Northern and Western towers remained from the original
planning structure. From the original parade-ground complex only foundations have
remained, which when view from the hill can be traced by sight near the Norhtern
wall. Two-tiered towers have remained, five-angled in plan but this is not classical
puntons but square with cut angles. The original roofs of the towers are entirely
lost. There are wooden constructions of the original hip-roof with shingle roofing
on the Southern tower. They remained partly.
������������ ������ . ���-���. 1993. - ���� 31
It is built in type of a regular. It is rectangular in plan castle with corner
pentahedral towers. By the end of the XVI century, the Northern tower was destroyed
but soon renewed. From 1672 till 1699, the Castle was greatly damaged. It was
restored at the beginning of the XVIII century.
Today, only the tower with signs of adjoining to it defense walls has left from
the Castle. Late, Northern tower remained in better condition. It is rectangular
in plan with sides 9 � 10 m and insignificant cut southern angles. The tower is
two-tiered, covered with low roof. Stone wall thickness is 1.5-1.65 m. The first
tier is covered with torispherical arch, the second one has flat covering in beams.
In the first and seconmd tiers the small loopholes remained with dilatived sides
in both directions. Straight arches are stone, with bow-shaped contours. There
is a fireplace in the western wall of the tower. Outside the walls preserved their
initial stucco; there is a sun-dial with Roman numerals on it under the cave on
the north-eastern and south-eastern front.
Another three towers, related to the first stage of building of the Castle, are
pentahedral in plan and with sharp outgoing angle. The dimensions of the long
sides are 8.6-9.3 m, short - 4.5-5.5 m. On its shorter sides, facing the yard,
the wooden galleries passed on the consoles, where has been a passage between
the defensive walls in the level of the first tier. Fastening of the cuttings
of the consoles and slopes - on pegs. This design of the western tower is of a
great interest. All towers remained on the height of two tiers ( as a result of
rising the level of the yard of the Castle, the first tier is partly filled up).
The coverings are flat. The entrance to the second tier was by external stone
stairs along the defensive walls. The embrasures are with square internal fenestrations.
The roofs are hipped with a shingle covering.
The Castle is an example of early defensive ensemble in Ukraine of regular planning.
The fragments of the wooden constructions and archaism in design of some embrasures
can be seen in this ensemble.
������������������ � ����������� ���������� ��� 4 ���. - ���� ���������� 1986
by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to: [email protected]