Back to main menu | to historical-architechtural sights

Pyatnyts'ka Church, 1873 | Foto
Kutkivtsi Village

The church in Kutkivtsi Village, from the �V��� century, is in honour of Saint Parasckeva, as it is today. The building that existed until 1759 was wooden and was built by the means of the parishioners. In 1759, a new wooden church was built and then burned down in 1836. The priest of that time, Iakov Sozans'kyi, with his own means built a stone bell tower for divine services on to the church. It was attached to the side altars from the east and west. In this church, the divine service has been carried out for about 40 years. In 1870, by the means of the treasury funds, which were given by the Governor Suhotin of Podillia, the present church was built. It was stone and had five domes. The bell tower is stone and is situated separately from the church. Church lands: estates were 1 desiatyna (this is an old form of measurement) with 1202 peasants, along with plough-lands that were (in 5 sessions) 61 des. 1597 p. The house of priest is stone and was built in 1873. The house of the psalm-reader and other buildings were built in 1894 (p. 485).

Kutkivtsi Village is located in a deep valley near the Zhvanchyk River, 8 versts to the northeast of the Gusiatyn Postal Station. Zakupna belongs to the Kutkivtsi congregation that is located 2 versts to the southwest and Dombrovka, 3 versts from Kutkivtsi.
Kutkivtsi was mentioned in documents from the �V century. At first, they belonged to the queen's estates, but Queen Bona in 1537 exchanged Kutkivtsi and Gusiatyn for Man'kivtsi (now in Lithuania), which belonged to Sverch. Kutkivtsi and Gusiatyn became his property. Besides the Sverches being here in the �V� century, a part belonged to another owner, Ditryh. In the �V� century, Kutkivtsi Village was ruined so much by some enemies that the owners had to build it again. In the �V�� century, Kutkivtsi belonged to the Kalynovs'kyis. Then, in the �V��� century, it belonged to the Cherlyns'kyis, Potots'kyis and Koval'kovs'kyis and finally, in the ղ� century, it belonged to the Kyts'kyis and Kuchal's'kyis. Then, this estate was sold because of debts and passed to Vynograds'kyi. On the western outskirts of the village, there is a mountain called Zamchys'ko or Zamok ("Fort") in which, according to the retellings, there had been a town with fortifications that was ruined by "Solodovyi Buniak". The inhabitants of the destroyed town did not want to live at the same place on the mountain again. So, they settled beneath, at kutok (the corner). From this, the name of the village was formed. Earth embankments and signs of buildings remained on the mountain. The population is Orthodox, 937 m. and 907 w. and Catholics are about 500 houses. The inhabitants are Ukrainian peasants, whose occupation is arable farming.

��������� �. ������� � ������ ���������� ������� // ����� ����������� ������������� ��������-��������������� ��������. - IX ���. - �������-����������, 1901. - 1232 �.

Translated by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to: [email protected]