Back to main menu | to historical-architechtural sightsDmytriyivs'ka Church, 1738. Preservation Number #1707 | Foto
In Zaluchchia Village, there was a church until the ХVІ century. It was built circa 1738 by the means of the parish. Now, it is a working church named in honour of the great martry, Dymytriy Soluns'kyi. This temple is wooden and covered with tin. A stone bell tower is attached to it. During its long existence, the temple was changed a lot. At the beginning of the XVIII century, it had five domes (1758 ). Later, there were three domes. However, in 1844, two side domes were taken down. Only the middle one is left. In 1872, the temple was totally repaired both inside and out. The iconostasis is three-circled, with ancient paintings, and it was reconstructed many times. Church lands: estates were 1 desiatyna (this is an old form of measurement) with 870 peasants, along with plough-lands that were: 33 des., 275 peasants. The priest's house is wooden and was built on the church lands by the means of the native landowner and the parish in 1866-1870. There was no house for a psalm-reader and no economic building. There has been a parish school in the congregation since 1871, and from 1896, it was situated in its own stone building (p.431-432).
source states that primarily, the church had three domes and a stone bell tower.
The building is wooden on a stone foundation, with three rooms and one dome. All three rooms are rectangular shaped and are on an east-west axis. In the interior, the framework was joined by notched arches. There is a choir loft over the babynets. The wide, three layered, central room rises up to the space of the closed facetted vault and octagonal barrel of the copula ending with a chandelier. The outside, crowning part of the copula is where the transition from the four-angled vault changes into the octagonal barrel and is accented with a break and a metalic cover. The break is a carved cornice.
The monument is the work of the Podil's'ka School of Popular Wooden Architecture of Ukraine.
Справочник - каталог "Памятники градостроительства и архитектуры Украинской ССР"
редакторы Л.В.Лотоцкая, Э.А.Полторацкая,
Издательство "Будiвельник", г.Киев, 1986 год, 4 том.
The population of Zaluchchia Village consists of Ukrainians of Orthodox creed (men-623, women-587), Catholics (men-80, women-118) and a small number of Jews (men-16, women-14). The main occupation is agticulture besides handycrsfts and trades - carpentery and masonary work. In the ХVІ century and earlier, the village was named Luchynckovtsi or Luchnickovychi. The retellings of people say that once, before the Tatarian raids, the village was located in another place - to the southwest from the present settlement, on the right bank of the Smotrych River. Under the name of Luchnickovets', the settlement is mentioned in the tax register of 1530 and 1542 and the name Zaluchchia appears next to the name Zaluchnivovtsi. In 1543, the settlement belonged to Anna Domaratovna Radets'ka, the widow of Matviy Radets'kyi, by right of succession. In 1567, Anna Radets'ka, by permission of the King Sygizmund August, presented half of her estate to the Kamyanets' Cathedral capitula. This presentation was to keep the Roman Catholic priest who was in charge of the altar at the Dmytriyivs'ka Church. This altar was made in honour of the Saint Trinity. In 1573, Elizabeth from Lychkovtsi, the wife of Ivan Dobromyrs'kyi, sold her part in Zaluchchia Village, or Luchnyckovtsi, to Stanislav Srochyns'kyi. In 1574 in Zaluchchia Village, Srochyns'kyi bought a part of the estate of Sophia from Lychkovtsi, the wife of Martyn Kalynovs'kyi, and in 1577, a part of the estate of Constance from Lychkovtsi, the wife of Stanislav Suhorabs'kyi. Later, a part of Srochyts'kyi's estate passed to Ivan Radets'kyi and about 1627, he bequeathed his estate to the Kamyanets' Jesuits.
At the beginning of the ХVІІІ century, Zaluchchia Village belonged to the Cherche Village congregation. In 1895, it became an independent congregation.
Сецинский Е. Приходы и церкви Подольской епархии // Труды Подольского епархиального историко-статистического комитета. - IX Вып. - Каменец-Подольский, 1901. - 1232 с.
by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to: email@example.com