Back to main menu | to archeological sights | show on the map
4. The Old Russian Settlement
The Settlement was found in 1901, by regional ethnographer of
Podillia V. Guldman. In 1951, some prospecting works were provided in the settlement
by Leningrad archaeologist, Machyns'kyi. The report about the inspection of
the Settlement is at the Institute of Archaeology of Academy of Science of Ukraine.
The Settlement belongs to the Slavonic Russian population. It was a great administrative and guard feudal centre of the western outskirts of Galyts'ko-Volyns'ke Principality. The Settlement was ruined by fire in the XIV century. Nobody has lived there from that time.
This Settlement is a kind of the cape fortification. It occupies a small area in the loop, which is formed by the Smotrych River and a stream, which runs into it. The territory of the Settlement is cut by a rather low swell. The eastern part of the settlement is higher than the western one. The Settlement occupies an area of 1.8 hectare. The height of the shafts is 1.2-1.5 metres. A great amount of ceramics, single fragments of kitchen utensils, nails, goods made of bones and other objects were found in the Settlement. Archaeological material is dated by the ղ-ղ�� centuries.
According to the order of the Executive Commitee of Khmel'nyts'ka Oblast' Council from 5.05.1972, No.143, a border of the reserved area was established in radius of 50 meters from the settlement. This is an area, surrounded by a ditch and a shaft from the West and East.
by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to: [email protected]