Back to main menu | to archeological sights | show on the map
15. The Old Russian Settlement
The Settlement belonged to the Old Russian population and was
a part of Galyts'ko-Volyns'ke Principality.
The Settlement has many layers. The Trypillia Settlement has been located there; but the materials of the Scythian Period were found there too. It was one of those military fortresses, that protected the south-western borders of Galyts'ko-Volyns'ke Principality from the attacks of enemies. The Settlement was found by the Podillian archaeologist, V.K. Gul'dman, in 1900. It was inspected in 1974, by specialists of Kamyanets'-Podil's'kyi University and Kamyanets'-Podil's'kyi histirical museum. The report, diary and materials found in the Settlement, are in Kamyanets'-Podil's'kyi University.
The Settlement is a cape-shaped fortification. The territory of the cape is cut across by swells in three places. Two last swells are located in 4 m one from another, the third one is in 40 m from them. The highest point of swells is 2 m. The length of the Settlement is 70 m, its width is 30 m. The Settlement is almost three-cornered in its shape. Its area gets lower to the sharp edge of the cape. Due to the prospective works it was found out, that the cultural layer of the Settlement is located on the depth of 0.25 - 0.8 m and consists of the Old Russian ceramics of the ղ�-ղ�� centuries, Trypillia and Early Scythian ceramics.
According to the Order of the Executive Committee of Khmel'nyts'ka Oblast' Council from 5.05.1974, No.143, a border of the reserved area was established in radius of 50 m there. It is the territory, protected by a steep slope from the North, and by swells from other sides.
by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to: [email protected]