Back to main menu | to archeological sights | show on the map
10. The Old Russian Settlement
The Settlement is the fortification, that was built by Old Russian
population at the beginning of the ղ century. It belonged to the Galyts'ko-Volyns'ke
Principality and functionated as a military fortress. The reason of desolation
of the Settlement is not found out.
The Settlement was found and examined for the first time by the Podillian archaeologist, Y.Sitsyns'kyi, in 1898. The reports and lifting materials are in the Institute of Archaeology of Academy of Science of Ukraine.
The territory of the Settlement is round. Its diameter is 60 meters. The Settlement is protected by a big swell from the North, which height is 3 meters. By its ends the swell sets against the rocky and inaccessible precipice of the mountain. This precipice makes the Settlement inaccessible from all its sides.
The area of the Settlement is 7850 square meters. The surface of the area is rather smooth, with a small lowering to the South. The cultural layer is located in the depth of 0.3 - 0.7 meters. The ceramics of the ղ�-ղ�� centuries, fragments of glass bracelets and iron products were found there.
According to the order of the Executive Committee of Khmel'nyts'ka Oblast' Council from 5.05.1974, No.143, a border of the reserved area was established in radius of 50 meters. It is an area protected by the swell from all sides. The forest plantations belong to the reserved area too.
by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to: [email protected]