Go to main menu | the villages list | historical info | show on the map
Translated by students of Kyiv avia institute
After an admin. division 16 cent. The Kamyanetskiy district
of a 16 cent.
After an admin. division 19 cent. The Kamyanetskiy district of a 19 cent.
After an admin. division 20 cent. The Kamyanetskiy district
Church of St. Trinity (Triytsi)
A temple was founded in 1726
Comment: Church of St. Trinity (Triytsi) was built in 1726 in more old place, ruined during the attack of some enemies (turks in 1672 - 1699 ?), was wooden one-storeyed building. In the middle of a 19 century it was very decrepit. A new wooden church was built in 1853; material of old church were used for a bell tower. Iconostasis had a one level. [СКУ, с. 207 - 210]
Поч. у №34)
Через випасання худоби вигляд могильників змінюється, в окре мих місцях вони майже непомітні. Мало до помагає і те, що археологічні пам'ятки взяті під охорону держави.
З північно-західної сторони вище села біля крайніх хат великої Заріки, на правому березі ріки Смотрич здійнялася майже на кілометр Сокіл-гора, або просто Сокіл. Вона висуває свою скелясту могутню голову з густої зелені лісу та чагарників. На половині її висоти видніються два входи до печер. Вони ніби чорні очі спрямовують свій погляд на південь. Зараз печери невеликі за розміром, а на початку століття у них можна було забратися, вони мали ходи до 150 метрів. Всередині печери нагадують невеликі кімнати; дуже обсмалені, мабуть, колись в них розкладали вогнища. За народними переказами в цих печерах розбійник Боян ховав свої незліченні скарби. У густому лісі свого часу переховувалися Устим Кармелюк і його побратими.
На протилежному березі ріки Смотрич, навпроти Сокола, розкинулася Оксан-гора. Є підстави при пускати, що ці дві гори дуже давно складали єдине ціле, але вони стояли на перешкоді тоді повноводного і бурхливого Смотрича, і, пробиваючи собі шлях до Дністра, він розмив русло, розділив гори. Багато є тут ще й інших цікавих місць, але вони ще чекають дослідника.
1564 року село «держала» Псарська, причому селяни, в числі десяти, не платили ні яких податків, бо, як написано у люстрації, між власницею і селянами не було про це досягнуто остаточної згоди. Тут же був млин, від якого одержували мірку, тобто плату за помол зерна, що складало загалом 10 злотих.
Karachkivtsi belonged to Kochminskiy. In 1569-1586 Borislavskiy was a ruler, more late village was property of Valentiy Kalinovskiy, head of Kamjanets, since1626 - Silnitskiy. In the half of XVIII century Carachkivtsi together with Tsikva form the special being region. It had insignificant sizes, but it brought about seven thousand zlotih of income.At the beginning of XIX century Karachkivtsi belonged to Malachovskiy, since April, 25 in 1808 it was passed to the adviser Anenskiy without payment of leasing sum. And then in 1830 Karachkivtsi, as well as Tsikova, became a public village.In 1820 about 121 peasant of sex men lived here. Peasants had 620 desyatinas of land, 39 churches, public carachkovetski forests together with stepanivski and bilski forests made the separate forest district with the general area 246 desyatinas.
In Karachkivtsi there were about 139 farsteads, 696 habitants. In 1892 in Karachkivtsi even school was opened. Children, which wanted to teach, attended Tsikivska school, but, as the archived documents testify, small amount wanted to get knowledge and absolute most part of peasants were not literate. In 1908 in average 787 persons lived in Karachcivnyah, from them orthodox were 762, catholics - 25. 53 children studed at school, when there were 78 children of school age.
In 1853 a wooden church was built here, as a cross, with one dome, with three outputs (main - westward, additional- to South and North). It was saved till this time and seven years ago it was restored using of population offering.Though a village still for thirty years to abolition of serfdom was considered free, however people were poor. Grey opidzolic soils, locating onknolls with the difficult access, and had destructive action of erosion, gave bad crops, that's why pesants left homes to searche of slice of bread in Besarabija and Tavriya. But often strocar came back home on Pocrovou (then the term of work wasfinished) with empty pockets. And in the worst case he could to bring the fever which was heavy to cure. Not all, however, went begging in Karachkivtsi. For example, Grigoriy (Grigorko) Koretskiy lived well-to-do, who owned a 20 desyatins of land, 30 desyatins of forest, and had a farm on Lysii Mountain, where a forest guard lived, procecting forest and keeping a lot of cattle.Ivan Nazaruk, Fedir Shkunda, Fedir Sikorskiy and some another owners were not poor persons. At the beginning of the thirtieth years they were evicted from a village.
Beginning of XX century was marked by Russian-Japanese war. Warriors-soldiers, which passed active service, known about and reported population from Karachkivtsi, but they did not take place in it. Daniel Storoguk and Julian Telyatitskiy, being from Tsykivcha, told about frightful battle on the East.
Karachkivtsi can not avoid the first world war. Many young boys and men became in soldier's line-up. To many of them were taken prisoner. Andriy Valchuk and Mihaylo Gorodiskiy were suffering on strange land during four years and only till 1918 year they turned to the native houses. Large October socialistic revolution karachkivchans met with gladness, hoping, that the best times will come finally. On meeting of workers in Tsikivska volost on May, 18 in 1919 Andriy Ivanovich Bartsichovskiy became headmen. Rimarchuk, habitant Karachkivtsii, was also a member of district rada. Gerasim Boyko, Tit Poberegniy, Mihaylo Gorodiskiy militated at the fronts of civil war.
In 20th years in Karachkivtsi there was a komsomol cegroup, which united 15 youths and girls in 1941.
At the end of in 1932 with the help of Andrey Bartsichovskiy initiative a collective farm was organized, which got name George Dimitrov farm. In a year all became collective farmers almost. That true, Frants Mazurkevich and Fedir Pazynuk remained single owners to the end of their days.Andrey Bartsichovskiy headed a collective farm first time. Later in a collective farm habitant Galina Tarasenko, tsikivchan Philip Tverdohlib and habitant from Zaluchchya, before the attack of Germans, were heads. During the period of existence of collective farm there were nine public buildings, a depository for saving of vegetables could save. In a village there was primary school, reading hall, which was managed by A. Coretskiy, a first-aid post functioned.
The repressions in 1937-1938 years did not go round Karachkivtsi. Andrey Bartsichovskiy, Semen Bulic, Fedir Shkunda, and also priest Ivan Afitskiy became the victims of them.
Already in 1940 every hectare gave 12 centners of corn. On June, 22 in 1941 in our peaceful village war came, using advantages of technique and suddenness of attack, Hitler hordes moved up East. In the first days of the July Karachkivtsi was occupied by an enemy.
New owners set to implant own rules. A collective farm was renamed in a public farm. Inhabitants might pay high taxes, since March, 3 in 1942 boys and girls began forcedly to send to fascist Germany.
But rebellious habitants of Karachkivtsi did not reconcile oneself with the of occupation regime. When in neighbouring Tsicov K.A. Malik, which was sent from the front-line, organized an illegal group, it was filled up by Karachkivchans (local carachuns): George (Yurii) Sergiyovych Pereverzev and local habitants Alex Andreyovych Koretskiy, Mykola Ivanovych Valchuk and presently still living Ivan Grigorovich Ribak.
Later a group connected with the guerrilla group of the name Chapaeva, that operated on territory of the Smotritskogo and Chemerovetskogo districts in that time. Folk avengers hindered to the purveyance and export to the faterlyandou agricultural product, telephone lines were destroyed, separators, threshing machines, diffused postals, and in eve the October holidays in 1943 a red flag was under one of apartments.
However karachouns without vibrations gave refuge to Jewish families. In a village many people known, that the unhappy dug up a dug-out and lived in it. Habitants of Karachkivtsi supplied to the victims of pursuits a meal, clothes.
Ті ж, що врятувалися від окупантів, щороку в середині березня відвідували Харабиху, а врятована нею Рая Захарівна Зільберман - Бідна називала Марію Мартинівну мамою.
На жаль, вже немає у живих баби Харабихи, як і багатьох тих, кого вона зігріла своїм теплом і любов'ю у лиху годину.
1-6 may, 1998. Y. Kurkovski,
researcher of the region.
This is beautiful village framed from every site by tovtry, which a forest greens on, located on the left shore Smotrich, on a wide peninsula, with a narrow isthmus on east.
On the right shore of river on deep ravines less part of village took place, or Velyka and Mala Zarika. This place was populated, obviously, some later, when there was no place on the peninsula for new settlers. Peasants were forced by hard work to win the little pieces of land to create habitation, and then vegetable gardens. Therefore and now separate vegetable gardens are processed by a hand only.
The stream divides Velyka and Mala Zarika, that takes beginning from antonivsky fields and local habitants call Neykov. This small river, overcoming on the way rocky barriers, forms a few waterfalls. Especially beautiful among them is waterfall near the so called Fesov ravine. Here water, brought down from a height with 3-4 meters, forms down a small pool, where in summer not only local habitants bath, but also from surrounding villages, and young people rest constantly.
The first information about Karachkivtsi found in the half of the sixteenthcentury. However, there are the grounds to think, that Karachkivtsi was a settlement as early as a deep remoteness, as during researches quite often labours get on stone instruments (hammers and in.). The first name of village was Karstova Luka, Karasivka, Karamovka. Karachkivtsi together with neighbouring Tsikovoyu entered in the complement of royal estates.
There is legend, that once a long ago in place of KarachKivtsi an age-old city was (stolniy town) with the name Gold Apple, where princes lived, and Solomiy Buynyak destroyed it.
There are other versions of origin of the name of village. According to one of them, rebellious persons sent here for serving of punishment. Second version is that turks held here captive and forced them by a "goose step", that is on all fours, vilaziti on a mountain Sokil and from there downward.
Village has many archaeological monuments. From an east side Karachkivtsi, on the isthmus of peninsula, at an entrance in a village, we meet track of princely epoch, which consists of the high billow located as a quadrangle with a transversal billow in the middle and cut by a deep ravine from a mountain.
On a south-west near Scala there were things from Old Russian times, at excavations of which there is a clay crockery and other objects.
On high hillocks on the right shore of river Smotrich the groups of burial mounds were situated from the north and western side of village (or they are named the graves). In 1883 professor B. Antonovich dug up eleven burial mounds, at which skeletons were and bronze popayani rings, iron nails and anothers.
From a north-western side higher than village near the houses on the right shore of river Smotrich Soril-mountain is with length about one kilometer.On the half of its height two entrances to the caves could be seen. Now caves hane small sizes, and at the beginning of cenury it was possible to perch in them, they had motions till 130 meters. Into a cave small rooms are very burnt, presumably once in them fires were.
After folklegends, in these caves a robber Boyan hid the numberless treasures. In a dense forest Ustim Karmeluk and the his sworn brothers hid in certain time.
On the opposite shore of the river Smotrich, on the contrary Sokil, Okson-mountainis situated. There are the grounds to assume that these two mountains made sole whole, but they stood on transition of the stormy Smotrich, and carving the way to the Dnestr, it washed out a river-bed, divided mountains.
In 1564 village was "kept" byPysarska, thus peasants paid no taxes. There was a mill, used for corn grinding and it cost 10 zlotih on the whole.
In a next year (1565) Karachkivtsi belonged to Kochminskiy.
In 1569-1586 Borislavskiy was a ruler, more late village was own of Volensiya Kalinovskiy, kamyanetskiy head, since1676 - Silnitskiy.
At the beginning of ХІХ century Karachkivtsi belonged to Malahovskiy, since an April, 25 1808 it was passed to the statscomou adviser Adenskiy without payment of leasing sum. And then in 1830 Karachkivtsi, as well as Tsikova, became a public village.
"The history of Kalachkivtsi village", 2002