Back to main menu | to archeological sights | show on the map
8.The Settlement of the Scythian Period
The Settlement was left by the Scythian population of Podillia
in the V²²- ²V centuries B.C. They were called the "Scythians-plowmen",
as Greek historian, Gerodoth, wrote in the V century A.D. The Settlement was
found in 1948, during the prospecting works of the Trypilian expedition of Academy
of Science of the Ukrainian Soviet Republic under the leadership of T.S. Passek.
Finds, diary, report, and graphical materials are in the Funds and Archive of
the Institute of Archaeology of Academy of Science of Ukraine.
The Settlement is located on the plough-lands of the flat slope of the left bank of the nameless stream, in 2 km from the mouth of the stream, which runs into the Dnister River in Mezhgir Village. There are no architectural buildings on the surface of the Settlement. There were found fragments of ceramics in the Settlement. They point at the dating of the Settlement by the V²²-²V centuries B.C.
According to the order of the Executive Committee of Khmel'nyts'ka Oblast' Council from 5.05.1974, No.143, a border of the reserved area was established in radius of 50 meters. The Settlement is surrounded by the stream on the East, and by the field on the North and South.
by Yana Anufriyeva
mail to: email@example.com